The Mental Game
In any realm of athletic performance, we tend to look at the
tangibles. How strong, fast, agile is someone? What does their movement profile
look like? And in the CrossFit space, this especially makes sense given that we
can train all of these things and there is a direct link to performance in the
sport compared to football or baseball where strength is less correlated to output.
The thing that gets lost in the shuffle is that the mental
aspect of competing is what truly separates those athletes who perform to their
potential and those who consistently fall apart. I think about mental
performance as four main pillars although you could certainly expand upon this
as needed or desired. The pillars are Attention, Anxiety, Adversity Response
and Confidence. By improving these four things, I believe that an athlete has
greatly increased the likelihood that they will have success in the sport.
Attention
Attention is the first pillar because I believe that everything
else is entirely dependent upon attention. The ability to control our focus
allows everything else to fall into place.
The most common fault that I see in this realm is focusing
on the wrong thing. Athletes get into a competition or into a workout and focus
on the outcomes rather than the process. This means that they are more
concerned about what is happening around them or what their time is going to be
rather than staying present in the moment. When this happens, simple mistakes
create dramatic shifts in the leaderboard, ironically harming the thing that
they were fixated on.
Most people call this choking, but in reality it’s just
misplaced attention. They let the perception of other peoples’ judgement or
their stress about the performance get in the way of focusing on executing to
the best of their ability. Training the mind to snap out of intrusive thoughts and
stay present makes all the difference in the world.
Anxiety
Anyone who has competed is familiar with anxiety. Many
athletes who struggle to perform try to remove this sensation before
competition, but I would argue that this is not productive. Instead we should
be concerned about managing the timing and reframing the meaning of our anxiety
response.
What I see most of the time is that athletes spend the
entire week leading into a competition with a heavy anxiety response. This
typically manifests in elevated heart rate, short and shallow breaths, tight
chest, temperature regulation issues. They spend so much time in this state
that they are exhausted from the cost of living in the fight or flight response.
This means that there is nothing left to convert into competitive fuel for game
day.
Ultimately, we want to harness that energy to drive
performance. The key is how we frame out perspective around those physical
sensations. The butterflies that you experience show you care and it’s
something that we can ride to faster paces that we normally can achieve with
less effort. Learning to properly employee those butterflies while ensuring
that we aren’t on fumes creates a massive performance boost.
Train your brain to interpret adrenaline as excitement, not
a threat.
Adversity response
Everyone has experienced failure. As athletes, we have the
unique pleasure of doing it on a public platform, which increases the perceived
stakes of failure. The thing that I see separating the people who allow one bad
event to spiral into a bad weekend and athletes who can still thrive is the
ability to process and move beyond negative outcomes.
Often times I see athletes respond to adversity with anxiety
and starting to create labels about themselves. Things like “I choke” or now my
support group is going to be disappointed in me. Even though we have all been
on the other side of that equation and know it’s not true, we have a tendency
to create a negative response. Then anything that starts to look like an
opportunity for failure sends us spiraling. If we continue to allow this, we
reach a point of being burned out, which is simply the brains defense mechanism.
We stop trying hard because the pressure is unbearable and the void of effort
gives us a built in excuse for failure.
“Never permit the pressure to exceed the pleasure.”
-
Joe Maddon
Breaking this pattern requires a mindset shift. Failure is informative
if we allow it to be. It gives us the data on the gap between where we
currently are and where we want to be. The athlete who can learn to do that
without attaching an identity narrative to it is an athlete who is set up to succeed
Confidence and Self Belief
We often think about the loudest person in the room as the
most confident. In reality, that is usually insecurity manifesting. This is an
athlete who is faking it until they make it. Real confidence doesn’t need to
announce itself because the performance will announce it for them.
Genuine self-belief is much more subtle. It’s a feeling that
you are able to execute when it counts. It comes from accumulating evidence
over time that you can do hard things, that you've done hard things, and that
you're in the process of doing thing that continue to push those boundaries.
How to Improve These Four Pillars
The brain is a predictive operating system. We are always
seeking patterns so that we can make better predictions in the future. Therefore,
we need to be aware that all self talk is data that our brain is using to model
future events.
Negative self talk, isn’t just about the tax on your
emotions. It is quite literally wiring your to expect an underperformance. The
athlete who says I am not good at running has
close the loop and made this a fixed thing. We can change that entire
narrative with one word: “Yet”. By choosing this word, we have opened the loop
and allow space for growth. We know we aren’t where we want to be but we are
signaling to our brain and body that we are capable of improving.
Similarly, we need to be very intentional about how we label
ourselves as athletes. Labels become an identity that we will gravitate to. Thus
we need to choose honest but intentionally directional labels such as “I am a
hard worker” or “I am a process oriented athlete.” This gives us something to
cling to when things might be going sideways. It gets us back to our north star
which allows us to be more productive quicker.
As we work on these things, we have to expect that progress
is going to be smaller than we want it to be in the near term but that this
effort is worth it in the long term. There may seem like a breakthrough or light
bulb moment, but those moments aren’t possible if we don’t lay the foundation
for it to happen.
Often times that change is going to be more qualitative than
tangible in your scores. You start to notice that there are less intrusive
thoughts and that your overall attention is better inside of the workout. The
thoughts might stay more positive in general with things like “keep pushing” or
“I can do this”. Those thoughts start to turn into bigger sets, smaller rests,
faster paces which climbs up the leaderboard.
My Own Journey
I showed up to college coming from a strong high school program
where I was a three year starter. I expected to show up and start as a freshman
with immediate performance on the field. Instead, I sat my entire freshman
year. So I retooled my swing, got stronger, got faster and came back a much
better athlete.
Sophomore year started the roller coaster. Stretches of
success, stretches of failure followed by sitting on the bench. Compounding
this with my tendency to get injured left me playing guarded. I didn’t want to
play too care free because a mistake would get me on the bench and too much
aggressive would potentially leave me injured. So I played passively… the same
way I played early on in my high school career. I wanted to avoid mistakes
rather than chasing success.
I then overhauled my mindset at the plate going into my
junior year. I shifted to hunting pitches to do damage on. I learned which
pitches were in my sweet spot and learned how to observe the other pitcher to
figure out what was most likely to see to dictate the approach. But I was still
in a cycle of two consecutive bad games putting me on the bench. So while the
process got better, it was still hard to fully believe in it.
Senior year, the break through happened. The worst on paper performance
of my career. I struck out in my first at bat of the game fair and square.
Second at bat I had three consecutive calls that were really bad and resulted
in me striking out again followed by getting pulled from the game for not
swinging. That was the moment that I realized even by playing it safe, things
weren’t safe. I had zero control over what happened away from what I controlled
and I was spending my time worrying about it. So I started focusing on
maximizing performance every day I showed up to the park.
This mindset has allowed me to perform in CrossFit,
marathons and Hyrox. I know that mid race, I don’t need to be concerned about my
lunge split because that is what it is, instead I need to think about executing
the movement to the best of my ability and maximizing performance for the
entire race. It gives me the ability to lock in on specific and stay focused on
performing the movement to standard. It’s how I leave these races knowing that
even if I didn’t have my best day, I am performing the best that I can on that
day. And if it wasn’t my best day, I know that I have a system to improve upon.
Final Thoughts
Mental performance isn’t a sometimes thing. This is
something that we need to practice year-round. It is coachable and trainable
and it might be the biggest untapped aspect of competing for most athletes. If
you know that any of these things impacts you, that means there is room for
growth and a clear path for improvement. Start with intention to change. After
you set your intention, turn to guiding your attention and language. This will
dictate your adversity response and self-confidence. Remember that the brain is very malleable, but
you have to choose to mold it into the shape you want it to take.
Comments
Post a Comment